Planning & Building Regulations Advice in York | Newbegin Building

Tel: 01904 654381

Planning & Building Regulations

Planning Permission is the process that you go through before being allowed to construct something above certain guidelines to your home. It takes into consideration things like - changes in appearance and the use of buildings such as an extension to a house or a conversion of a house into apartments

Building Approval / Regulations are here to ensure that buildings are constructed to a minimum quality standard for such things as structure, fire escape, drainage, ventilation, insulation and so on. The regulations can often seem unreasonable, but they are there for good reasons. Building Regulation matters are usually handled by Building Control Officers at your local authority.

So, if you have decided that you wish to go ahead and begin the whole process we are here to help you.

We work with a fantastic team of architects that are able to guide you through the design and planning stages of a build. They will visit you at your home and discuss your plans and come up with some great ideas from the brain storming session.

Once you have decided on a scheme that is right for you, they will re visit you and begin by taking measurements, surveys of the building and surrounding land and ensure that all relevant drains and services are easily accessible. It is at the beginning of this stage that a contract will be signed and a fee agreed.

Once working drawings are completed you will be shown an example. You are given the option of amending these as you wish before submission to the planning department for approval.

Along with our architect we will be able to manage your planning application and building regulations requirements from start to finish. Monitoring the applications progress and liaising with the relevant local authority representatives on matters that may arise.

Once your planning application is approved you will be supplied with full working drawings with all building regulation specifications included. These are the drawings that we will be working from, so you will be able to follow the build process along with us.

Structural Calculations - This is needed to ensure that a structurally sound building is constructed. If any structural calculations are required we are able to organise this with our architect and structural engineer to assure that all the satisfactory requirements are achieved. A Building Control Officer will pass the calculations upon full satisfaction of requirements.

Contact us for more information


Newbegin Building & Glazing
7 Greenfields
Haxby Road
York YO31 8LA

01904 654381